FEEL THE RHYTHM, FEEL THE RHYME
I begin this blog still smiling from what was probably one of my top 5 moments ever on a sports team. Why was it so special? Oh, you'll see...just wait
It all starts early Sunday, and our manager is fearing the worst. Our best players not being able to play because of, get this, THE CAVS GAME (oh, my prediction still looks good by the way). Well, after calls to every male on this campus, including Rod McDavis himself, we had a sick feeling that we would only have 7 for the game. And this time, seven isn't lucky. Seven means forfeit.
We stand at Field #2, losing hope, and then the phone rings. We got a guy comin...not in the best shape, but hey, he's comin. Just so ya know, we HAVE to win this game. I mean, a loss puts the playoffs into a distant memory. A forfeit would just sour that taste. So in the nick of time, we get our eighth player and begin play.
After a quick top of the 1st that saw us give up only one run, the bats of Cool Runnings got goin. Hit here, double there, next thing you know, 5 run inning before we hit our mandatory 2-out penalty for only having 8 in the lineup. For the next 4 innings, shutout ball on both sides, but think about this. We have no second baseman and our outfield has gaps as big as Michael Strahan's teeth. So giving up 0 runs over their next 5 innings at bat is pretty darn impressive if I may say so.
Anyways, we tack on 4 HUGE insurance runs in the Bottom of 6 before finally giving up a fluke 2 runs in the top of 7 and winning the game 9 to 3. Honestly, this upset was as big as the Edmonton Oilers beating the Red Wings in the first round of this year's NHL Playoffs. Oh, not a hockey fan? (Most aren't) Well, put it right up there next to the USA beating the USSR or George Mason in the Final Four. You can't script this stuff. It's just that good, and I still can't stop thinkin about it.
Because of my inability to calm down from the great win, I stayed up till 4am reading books. Now, I hate books. I mean, literally despise them but for some reason, I enjoyed reading this time. I figured I was just too giddy to figure out I was doing something so incredibly boring. I'll try reading tonight. Got a feeling it ain't gonna fly though.
To end my Monday babble, I want to discuss the NFL draft. First of all, damn, it took forever. Second of all, damn, it took FOREVER. Third of all, I thought Houston made the right pick. Yea, start throwing the comments at me now but hear me out. Domanick Davis is a solid runningback, probably pro-bowl quality if it weren't for the pathetic offensive line the Texans have. They surely didn't need a QB. David Carr hasn't been great, but if you only had 1.3 seconds to throw the ball, I think you'd have problems completing 50% of your passes. Considering all that, Mario Williams is the right pick for the Texans. Was Reggie Bush the best player in the draft? Probably, if not the best, at least most talented. BUT, was Reggie Bush the best fit for the Texans? I think not. This guy has not played one snap in the NFL and people are already calling him the next Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Gale Sayers, etc...How bout we just watch them play and then critique the picks three years from now. Until then, mad props to the OSU Buckeyes, 5 in the first round. Represent the Scarlet and Gray to the fullest in the League.
Closing quote time...what shall it be? Well, in honor of the great win by our softball team, I think it is only fitting that we use a quote from a guy who is used to winning. Who is that man? None other than Jeopardy's Ken Jennings.
"It's so much fun now that the money is just icing on the cake. There just seems to be a lot of icing."
What that has to do with anything, I don't know but let it roll around in your brain and maybe something will click. Until next time everyone, enjoy the warm weather, make a new friend, and Hakuna Matata!
No comments:
Post a Comment