THE PAIN OF LEARNING
So why I am putting ANOTHER post up so soon? Well simply, time is on my side. Or I am just incredibly bored and I have nothing huge due until next Wednesday so why wait? Might as well entertain the 4 people that actually read this mess. Real quick, spologies for any spelling erros in this post. I didn't revise it and really don't care how it looks. I titled this post "The Pain of Learning because honestly today in class, I felt my brain grow. I know this doesn't make any sense but I was simply sharing my opinion on a story (very rare) and as the teacher elaborated on my tidbit, my head hurt. Either the Dr. Pepper at 9:30am was gettin to me or my brain decided to grow a bit as I expanded my knowledge of who knows what.
Aight, now to some serious stuff, like what happened to good television? If you haven't noticed, the big networks are announcing their Fall schedules right as I type. As I skim through the mutiny of pilots that will fizzle in 4 weeks, I began to think about all the great shows that have come and gone. That list includes shows such as:
The Cosby Show: The prototype for all TV sitcoms. With its big star (Bill Cosby), great supporting cast (Phylicia Rashad and kids), and great stories, this show had it all. Each show had a message to it, but without the Full House cheesiness. It's the kind of show you can watch now and still laugh to. Top notch stuff.
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air: Just like the Cosby Show almost, except the star was one of the children. Will Smith's ability to make you laugh was key in this series. But also, in the serious episodes (when he gets shot), he excelled as well. The parents were perfect (Old Vivian was better) and Carlton was the perfect compliment to Will's carefree attitude and endless antics. Another show that can be watched over and over.
Nickelodeon Shows (back in the day): OK, I know these weren't on network TV but what HAS happened to these? Honestly, shows like Rugrats, Doug, Salute Your Shorts, Hey Dude, All That, Roundhouse, etc... I could go on and on with the great shows. Now, I look at the shows and I no longer wonder why today's kids are so damn weird. I mean, shows like Bob The Builder and Romeo! would screw me up too. I'll take a good episode of Kenan and Kel (Who loves Orange soda?) over any of the shows today.
Everybody Loves Raymond: Back to network shows, this show always had me laughing. Between Ray Romano's inability to understand females (like me) and his parents who wouldn't stay out of his face (not like mine), this show gave us 9 years of good times. Add a kooky brother and kids with blond hair though Ray and Debra were both brunette, and you have a sitcom that is truly missed.
Ed: This show got screwed. Simple as that. NBC must have Cleveland Browns execs running this network because cutting this show was a dumb decision. Yea, the ratings weren't eye-popping but neither are George Lopez' and somehow that damn show is still on the air on ABC. But anyways, this show set in a small Ohio town had a great concept and a great lead actor in Tom Cavanaugh. A bowling alley lawyer who looks out for his town, an off and on relationship with old flame Carol, and a friend who he makes great bets with (such as who will bark at the waitress when she comes to get their order). Trust me, this show was funnier than I making it sound.
So anyways, those are just some of the classic great shows that are no longer with us on network TV (Thank you Nick at Nite). As I said, the networks are rolling out their new lineups and well, here's what I think about them. (NOTE: At the time of this posting, only NBC and ABC had released their schedule. I will get to FOX and CBS later)
MEN IN TREES (ABC): A relationship coach (Anne Heche) goes to Alaska for a speaking engagement. While there, her fiance cheats on her, marriage plans cancelled. So she stays in Alaska where, unfortunately for her, are a multitude of available men. The show centers around how she adapts to her new surroundings and how you can find love in the strangest places
MY TAKE: Frickin' dumb. First of all, Anne Heche used to be a lesbian (dated Ellen Degeneres) so it's hard for me to believe her being with guys. Also, it's frickin Alaska. Even America knows only 20 people live in Alaska. This show has all the makings of a 4 week run before getting a blizzard of bad ratings.
FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS (NBC): In Dillon, Texas, high school football isn’t just a sport, it’s a way of life. This year, the Dillon Panthers are expected to go all the way. That’s a lot of pressure for Eric Taylor in his first year as head coach. Not to mention, the pressure on the athletes who all have their sights set on college and the NFL. Coach Taylor is ready to mold these boys into champions and encourage them to be better men. Will they rise to the challenge?
MY TAKE: Okay, I'll admit, I'm intrigued by this show. I mean, you don't see many sports shows on network TV. I can'e even remember the last one. What scares me is that this show may turn into a high school version of ESPN's PLAYMAKERS and we all know how "great" that show was. Actually, that showed sucked. But as for this show, how can you stretch a whole football season into 24-28 episodes? I don't know but I will say this. If I like this sho and it gets cancelled halfway thru, I will not be a happy camper.
BIG DAY (ABC): Everything matters at a wedding, and the tiniest of imperfections can reverberate throughout the event as if lives actually hang in the balance. Things are about to get very complicated for Danny and Alice as their day turns into a season-long roller coaster with thrilling drops, loops and corkscrews when nothing goes as planned.
MY TAKE: Yea, I hate weddings already. An hour of sitting there and all that really matters is 3 minutes when they say two words: I do. So why would I want to watch a whole season focused on a wedding for fake people? What I'm saying is that this concept sucks. The reason 24 can pull off this one day thing is cuz the show is full of action and Kiefer Sutherland is the next Chuck Norris. Nice try ABC, but this ain't gonna work.
STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIP (NBC): Aaron Sorkin takes us behind the scenes of a fictional late-night sketch comedy series. Lately, “funny” has been in short supply at Studio 60. The executive producer just had a meltdown – on live TV. The control room is out of control. The actors are acting up. And that’s just last Friday’s show! Studio 60’s only hope lies with two wunderkind writers (Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford) with troubles of their own, and the headstrong new network president (Amanda Peet) determined to turn things around.
MY TAKE: If this is Matt Perry's idea of a comeback, keep trying. Wow, this looks like a terrible idea. First of all, D.L. Hughley is in the cast so it's already doomed. Second of all, that title is too damn long. As for the show, doesn't NBC already have SNL? Do we really need a show about fake behind the scenes stuff that goes on? How bout we just follow SNL crews then? Good cast ensemble but dumb idea. And they put on Thursday...remember Must See TV? Yea, NBC has definitely lost their touch.
BROTHERS AND SISTERS (ABC): The adult children of Henry Walker, along with their respective families, have gathered to celebrate a birthday. What they don't know is that tonight the patriarch will die. With this safety net gone, everyone will be forced to face the reality of their lives. Set in Los Angeles, this multi-generational family works to balance their personal lives with the family business, their siblings, and a grieving mother.
MY TAKE: For all you Grey's Anatomy fans, better set your VCR's for Thursday at 9pm because this show is taking over its Sunday 10pm slot. Honestly, reading this recap bored me. I mean, this sounds like an adult Brady Bunch just without the Dad. Let's just say this...Thank God for Sunday Night Football on NBC because this show will probably put you to sleep before the first commercial break.
HEROES (NBC): They thought they were like everyone else... until they woke with incredible powers. In Japan, a lowly office worker can teleport at will. In New York, a struggling artist can paint the future. In Los Angeles, a discontented beat cop can hear the thoughts of others. Elsewhere, a high school cheerleader discovers she is unbreakable and a single mom realizes she has a powerful alter ego. Heroes chronicles the lives of these people and the lives of others like them – whose destiny just might be saving humankind.
MY TAKE: If you didn't laugh when you read that summary, then you have no sense of humor. This show sounds like a joke. Come on, an unbreakable cheerleader? WOW. What are they thinking? I'll tell you what, the only hero in this show will be the NBC exec that takes it off the air. Oh, and in case you were wondering, this show is an hour-long DRAMA. Not a sitcom. Yea, it will be that bad.
There are plenty more bad pilots where that came from but if I do them all, then this post might take you 10 days to read so I will spare you this time. But you can agree with me here right? Television is losing its touch. Because of this, the amount of reality and game shows have increased (not a bad thing for me)because the creative minds of TV world just aren't clicking right now. Hopefully, one of these series will click but in my opinion, none of these 6 have a chance.
Real quick, I must throw something sports wise in this post. Sports is my life so it is mandatory. For this one, I just want to mention that the WNBA is starting its regular season this weekend. Now do I care? Not a bit. Actually, didn't know it was starting until ESPN put a commercial on the tube. And even then, I was hoping Phoenix vs. Sacramento was a replay of a great Suns-Kings game. The scary part in this is that this year number 10 for the WNBA, or as I call it, the new ABL. What's the ABL you ask? The first women's pro league, with the two-time champion Columbus Quest. Yes, Columbus, Ohio had a championship pro team and they were damn good. I went to every home playoff game except one. This team deserved better than to see its league go bankrupt due to the WNBA but you know what, CBUS survived and moved on. But in the back of my mind, I"ll always remember the Quest and those great teams. we kicked ass and deserved to be make Sportscenter in the first half hour. (ABL championship came on the show 45 min in.)
Aight, closing time (good song by......? lil help here). Need a quote. I just happened to stumble on this one (thanks Hirz). It's from everyone's favorite Detroit Piston Rasheed Wallace regarding the Cavs win over Detroit in Game 4
"Even the sun shines on a dog's ass"
What an intelligent statement. I think we are all smarter because of it. Hope your brain doesn't hurt. Aight, I'm gonna go now but look for the next post very soon. Again, this week is really light on homework so I will post away. Have a good Wednesday, watch the Amazing Race Finale (8pm CBS), and Hakuna Matata!
3 comments:
"Closing Time" - by: Semisonic
every new beginning comes from some other beginnings end
I completely agree with you- Ed was an awesome show and I was so bummed when it got booted. Good call!!
First of all Kiefer Sutherland aint got nuttin on Chuck Norris because they would have to retitle 24 to 1 because Chuch Norris would find all that terrorists and roundhouse kick them in one episode. Secondly, I agree television is much differenet, but I think you underestimating the new era of television. People want complexity. They want a complex story with mutiple twists and then maybe a big shocker at the end. For example, House, Grey's Anatomy, one of the 20 CSIs' or Law and Orders. I am intrigued be this Heroes show but you know I am into that stuff. Excellent post by the way. Ohh and one last thing, "Kel loves orange sodaaaa"
Post a Comment