The picture says it all. I've got a golden ticket. No, not to go to Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, but instead to play 18 holes at Augusta National Golf Club. Yes, the same course as the Masters. Don't be jealous. Just be happy for me. Actually, you can be jealous too if you want.
You see, a year ago at this time, playing at Augusta National was the LAST thing on my mind. I'm almost 100% sure that this time last year (Wednesday, May 19, 2008), I was at The Pub, drinking an aquarium with my best buds from OU. We were probably talking about the week that had been so far, insulting each other, and thinking about what lied ahead of us after graduation day, which was then just 17 days away.
But now, here I am in Augusta, Georgia, working as a sports anchor/reporter, excatly what I've been wanting to since I've been 8 years old. And now, that same job is giving me the opportunity to play one of the best and most revered golf courses in the world. Pretty cool huh?
So here's the deal. I'm really really excited about this. I've played the game of golf for now 7 years. I'm not good by any means but I still play. In fact, I'm not good at any sport but I still play. I think my 0-21 record in Intramural Sports championships speaks for itself. But despite my lack of athletic prowess, including in golf, I couldn't be more pumped.
I think the main reason is because I've been watching the best golfers in the world play this course for my whole life and now, I can say I've played the same course as the likes of Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player, Arnold Palmer, Seve Ballesteros, Phil Mickelson, Tiger Woods, and so many more. I mean, think about it. That's pretty cool. Augusta National is one of the most private courses in the nation and they are letting some Black kid from Columbus whose golf game is awful play 18 holes!
Speaking of my score, look for updates on the round here on the blog periodically but hole-by-hole updates on my Facebook page and Twitter page (follow me @ mattbarnes08). I plan on hitting every ball and playing by the USGA rules. So if that means taking a 12, then that means a 12. I'm not ashamed to do that. So I really hope you keep up with those respective pages and feel free to comment on the facebook or DM me on Twitter so I can see it on my phone. I'll try to respond.
So that's it boys and girls. That's the excitement to come on Thursday. Feel free to leave your comments and/or guesses for my score in the comment section right here on the blog.
I have no idea how long I will be here in Augusta. But for now, I'm gonna enjoy one of the perks. Make sure you check my pages and of course, Hakuna Matata!
No comments:
Post a Comment