Sunday, July 01, 2007

2007 SUMMER MOVIES SERIES

I'll admit, I am a terrible movie critic, but you know what, it's still fun to do. So let's continue. Movie #3 is:

KNOCKED UP
Directed by Judd Apatow
Starring Seth Rogen, Katherine Heigl, Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann

Write it down: THE BEST MOVIE THIS SUMMER! I know, I know, how can I proclaim this movie the best before the summer is even over? The answer: because it is. Judd Apatow has made written and directed yet another gem with Knocked Up, just following last year’s 40 Year-Old Virgin. Though a bit long, it provides you with laughs during all 129 minutes of its running time.
I’m not even sure where to start with this movie. Ladies first I guess. Katherine Heigl, who is the leading lady, does a great job playing a pregnant Alison trying to balance her “accidental” pregnancy with her amazing new job as an on-air personality on the E! network. I don’t normally watch Grey’s Anatomy so I wasn't sure if Heigl would just be a pretty face or not but you can tell, she truly embraces the comedic feel of the show, including going over the top at times (like pregnant women do….I think). Leslie Mann is just as funny as the sister. The way she is always concerned about her husband and her appearance give the audience a great sidebar to the main story of the pregnancy and relationship between Alison and Ben.
Speaking of Ben, played by Seth Rogen, what a dork but a lovable one at that. He has no job and barely any money and his only hope for surviving financially is to get a website up and running that deals with when stars show skin in a movie. The premise is far-fetched but what brings is back home is the reality of the situation between him and Alison. Even though it’s never really funny when a girl gets pregnant accidentally, the way this movie makes light of the situation is downright superb.
There is the seriousness with the abortion topic but it’s hard to realize the topic is serious because of Rogen’s darkish comments and Heigl’s confusing thoughts. Mad props also to Rogen’s cast of friends who are always there for him for dumb ideas and drugs. Also, mad props to Joanna Kerns, who plays Alison’s mom, who has an hilarious cameo at a restaurant with her daughter.
The best supporting cast member though is Paul Rudd. Just like in Virgin and Anchorman, Rudd plays second-fiddle amazingly by being quirky. In this movie, he does a great job acting as the husband who is tired of his wife and kids and just wants time to himself, something any guy can appreciate. When he and Ben leave for Vegas, it makes for the funniest 5 minutes in the movie. Oh, and I don’t wanna leave out the kids who are funnier than even the kids in Talladega Nights.
One-liners are the name of the game in this movie. Though not as quotable of a movie as Anchorman, it is just as funny as the Will Ferrell flick. Honestly, this movie is just that good. Make this your movie to watch this summer. If not, you’ll regret it because it’ll be the movie everyone is talking about.
**** out of four

1 comment:

EricHug said...

2 Things

1) This is my new account (posted on xanga but I'm back to blogspot now).

2) Superbad is the funniest movie of the summer.