Tuesday, April 03, 2007

WELL DONE BUCKEYES!

For the second time in 84 days (yes, I counted), I have watched the Ohio State Buckeyes lose a National Championship game. Even worse, both losses came to the same university. Am I disappointed? Of course. Am I angry? Not at all. And let me tell you why.

It literally cracks me up to see people get pissed off at Ohio State after a loss…even better, a National Championship loss. How spoiled are we as fans to get mad at a team that gave us so much throughout the season?

The Ohio State football team came in with great expectations with an explosive offense and a young defense that had amazing potential. Though there were doubters all year about whether we could run through our regular season, the Buckeyes triumphed in those 12 games, including an impressive victory over the hated rival Michigan. Now in most years, a win over Michigan is enough to make the season a good one. But after the debacle in Arizona against the Gators, I have never seen OSU fans get more sour. Until now…

Tonight, right after the basketball game was over, I was “lucky” enough to see just how bad OSU fans can be (and it was probably worse on the actual OSU campus). Instead of actually just thinking about how great of a season it was, they immediately start screaming cuss words off balconies and get pissed off at Florida. Let’s get this straight. Florida WAS the better team and has been all year. The only way the Buckeyes come away with that victory is if they play a better game. And tonight, they didn’t. So suck it up Buckeye fans, we had a helluva year, especially with 4 freshmen playing a ton of minutes.

It’s as if the Big Ten Championship wasn’t enough? Or how about beating Wisconsin twice, including a HUGE win in the Big Ten Tourney championship game? Oh, and let’s not forget the Xavier game…that Ron Lewis shot will forever be a part of OSU basketball history. Hell, without it, OSU doesn’t even make it THIS far. That Sweet 16 game against Tennessee wasn’t too bad either…we only came back from 20 points and sealed the deal with a Greg Oden block. The Memphis game sent us to the Final Four, something we haven’t seen since 1999 (or 1962 depending on who you are). And then the Georgetown game that no one gave us a shot in.

And then we lost to Florida.

Hmmmm, seems like a lot more highlights than lowlights. Suck it up Buckeye fans. We had a good run and an amazing year.

Before I end this blog, I just want to give my thoughts on March Madness in general. Every year, I cannot wait for this tournament. It’s the best postseason sporting event in the U.S. and will continue to be. This year was no exception. There were upsets, there were great shots and the best part, there was Gus Johnson (check out this link: there’s no one better in the business http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWdjhRaVQ74)

So to recap another great March Madness, I have listed by top 10 moments from March Madness 2007:

10. Memphis wins a thriller against Texas A&M when Acie Law blows a late lay-up that could have given the Aggies an important three-point lead late in the game
9. Who doesn’t love a good Butler Bulldog tourney run? The Bulldogs went to the Sweet 16 once again, just to fall short to eventual champ Florida, in a game the Bulldogs stayed with the Gators for most of the way
8. There weren’t many upsets this year but the Winthrop upset over Notre Dame was pretty cool. Winthrop goes up big, Irish fight back, but Winthrop and Craig Marshall will not be denied their first ever Tourney win
7. Vanderbilt beats Washington State in 2OT. This game was just flat out exciting…though I can’t name one player on each team. Just the coaches.
6. The shot by Jeff Green to send Georgetown into the Elite Eight. Did he travel? Probably but hey, that’s the joy of this tourney. Big time player making big time plays. Too bad the big time refs forgot the big time whistle.
5. VCU upsets Duke. VC-who you say I know. This team has been on the up since Jeff Capel started coaching their a few years ago. Now, they are beating one of the most historic programs in college basketball. Eric Maynor, the hero.
4. Georgetown coming back to beat North Carolina to clinch their spot in the Final Four. Pretty sure most thought the Tar Heels were moving on but the Hoyas showed great fortitude and guts, sending the game into OT and then dominating Tyler “I cry like a baby” Hansbrough and UNC in the extra period.
3. Tennessee vs. OSU. Sweet 16. OSU down 17 at the half. Down 20 at one point. Too bad this is March Madness. The Buckeyes pull off a great comeback, with a combination of Oden inside and big 3-balls outside to bring them back and to the win. Oh, and there was a block too.
2. Florida defeating OSU for the title. Yea, I’m a Buckeye fan but you gotta respect a team that actually plays like a team and knows how to take over and finish games. Did you notice no one really came back on these Gators during the tourney? They deserve this one and as a college basketball fan, it’s nice to see players come back for another run instead of running to the money and fame of the NBA.
1. Come on, that Lewis shot is what college basketball is all about. OSU fan or not, that shot was clutch, especially when a 9 seed has a 1 seed on the ropes. For me, I about went crazy, especially since I thought it was long. Ron Lewis didn’t shoot well in the Final Four but I’ll tell ya this. I”ll take his shot in that Xavier game anyday than him making 2 or 3 trifectas in a later game. It’s all about the thrill and suspense and pure excitement. There ain’t nothing better.

So now that the Madness is over, let’s all take a breath and remember the year that was. It was a good one, actually, a damn good one. Lot of great players, lot of great teams, and a lot of great basketball.

And for you OSU fans still screaming off the balconies, get over it already. Odds are, the Buckeyes will be back soon in both sports. That’s what happens when you have an athletic department that actually makes money (see Ohio University). And if that doesn’t help, well, I guess all I can say is HAKUNA MATATA!

No comments: